TCR Arabia performs a wide range of Corrosion and Stress Corrosion Tests as part of the ASTM, NACE or client supplied specifications. Senior staff members with specific expertise are available to help and advise on corrosion problems or materials selection in laboratory or on-site inspection. A wide variety of routine tests can be undertaken to determine intergranular corrosion attack, weight loss corrosion, pitting corrosion, Sour gas service corrosion tests for sulfide stress cracking (SSC), CSC, salt spray, and hydrogen-induced cracking (HIC) in oil and gas, power, construction, shipping, petrochemical and process industries.
TCR offers comprehensive corrosion study program, including:
- Inter-Granular Corrosion Test as per ASTM 262 Practice A with photograph (Oxalic Acid Etch test)
- Inter-Granular Corrosion Test as per ASTM 262 Practice B (Streicher Test)
- Inter-Granular Corrosion Test as per ASTM 262 Practice C (Huey Test)
- Inter-Granular Corrosion Test as per ASTM 262 Practice D
- Inter-Granular Corrosion Test as per ASTM 262 Practice E (Strauss Test)
- Inter-Granular Corrosion Test as per ASTM 262 Practice E for 72 hours
- Inter-Granular Corrosion Test as per ASTM 262 Practice F
- Stress Corrosion test as per ASTM G 36
- IGC test as per DIN EN ISO 3651 – 2, method A, B and C
- Pitting corrosion test as per G48 method A for 24 hours
- Pitting corrosion test as per A923 method C for 24 hours
- Pitting corrosion test as per A923 method A
- Corrosion Rate by Potentiostatic method
- Crevice Corrosion Test as per ASTM G48 method B
- Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking for 500 hours
- Hydrogen Induced Cracking Testing per NACE TM0284 for Plate/Forgings, Tubes, Bars Studs
- Sulfide Stress Corrosion Cracking per NACE TM 0177 at 24 Deg C, ATM Pressure for 720 hours.
- Sulfide Stress Corrosion Cracking per NACE TM 0177 at 90 Deg C, 16 bar Pressure for 720 hours.
- Huey Test with microstructure examination with Inclusion rating, Oxalic acid etch, Sodium cyanide etching
- Salt Spray Test as per ASTM B117, The size of chamber at TCR is 400 mm X 400 mm X 300 mm.
HIC Test as per NACE TM0284
TCR Arabia performs HIC test to evaluate the resistance of pipeline and pressure vessel plate steels to Hydrogen Inducted Cracking caused by hydrogen absorption from aqueous sulfide corrosion. An unstressed test specimen is exposed to a solution at ambient temperature and pressure and after a specified time, the test specimen is removed and evaluated.
TCR Arabia issues a detailed written report upon completion of each test. Each report includes a description of the test sample that was received, the test procedure that was used, and the pH values of the test solution before exposure and after the exposure. The test bars are cut into sections and examined under a microscope for hydrogen-induced cracks. The dimensions of any such cracks are recorded and used to compute the values in percentage for Crack Length Ratio (CLR), Crack Thickness Ratio (CTR) and Crack Sensitivity Ratio (CSR).
Sulfide Stress Corrosion Cracking (SSC), NACE TM 0177
Sulfide stress corrosion cracking (SSC) is a form of hydrogen embrittlement cracking which occurs when a susceptible material is exposed to a corrosive environment containing water and H2S at a critical level of applied or residual tensile stress. TCR Arabia conducts the NACE TM0177 tests including Methods A and B for SSCC test, at our corrosion testing laboratory.
NACE TM0177 specifies Solution A (acidified), Solution B (acidified and buffered) and Solution C (for martensitic stainless steel). Solution A is used in Methods A unless the properties of Solution B or C are specified. In any case, H2S is bubbled through the solution constantly throughout the test period. Testing is performed in NACE solutions A and/or B, saturated with H2S at 24º and 90º Celsius. Stressed samples are exposed to sour environment for a pre-determined time, after which they are removed and analyzed for crack detection. NACE TM0177 specifies test duration of 30 days (720 hours) for Method A or B test.
TCR Arabia issues a written report for each test, or group of tests performed. This report includes a description of the test sample that was received and of the test procedure that was used, the pH values of the test solution before and after the exposure, the results of the hardness test performed on the test specimen and a statement declaring the results of each test. TCR Arabia requires 6 weeks to complete the SSC test.
Intergranular Corrosion Test (IGC) per ASTM A-262
At TCR Arabia several methods exist for the testing of intergranular corrosion. To conduct these tests, we carefully choose a method which is suitable for the steel grade and grain boundary composition to be tested. Intergranular corrosion in stainless steels may result from precipitation of carbides, nitrides or intermetallic phases. Only in the most highly oxidizing solutions can intergranular attack be caused by intermetallic phases. When a test is to be restricted to carbides, in a material containing nitrides or intermetallic phases, a less oxidizing solution is chosen.
Pitting Corrosion Test
TCR can undertake Pitting Corrosion as per ASTM G48 Method B, Ferric Chloride Test which involves exposing a specimen to a highly oxidizing acid chloride environment, to determine the extent of pitting. We can also undertake Pitting Corrosion test as per ASTM A923 Method C.