TCR Arabia has a talented crew to conduct hardness testing of production welds. Testing is carried out by using a TIME Inc. portable hardness tester, Model TH-130.
Codes and Standards
- ASME B313 Chemical Plant and Petroleum Refinery Piping, latest edition.
- AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section V, Nondestructive Examination
- ASNT Recommended Practice No. SNT-TC-1A, Personnel Qualification and Certification in Nondestructive Testing
- ANSI / ASNT CP 189, Standard for Qualification and Certification of Nondestructive Testing Personnel
Prior to testing the area to be tested shall be prepared by grinding flush (in the case of butt welds enough area shall be ground to enable full hardness survey to be performed). Grinding shall be carried out without excessive use of force; no overheating or burning shall be permitted. Upon completion of grinding a further preparation shall be made using a rotary grit paper grinding wheel. No sharp edges shall be left on the area ground for Hardness testing. Grit standard shall be in accordance with the Manufacturer’s recommendation.
Equipment at TCR Arabia
TIME Inc. portable hardness tester, Model TH-130
The TIME Inc’s portable hardness tester’s method of operation is by measuring the impact and rebound velocities of an impact device, under spring loading, against the test piece. Hardness is measured in hardness number L and must be converted to Brinell Hardness Value (BHV).
Due to the “pin-point” measurement made by the TIME Inc. precautions necessary to enable accurate testing are:
• The test piece must be adequately supported.
• For each hardness measurement 3 impact measurements are to be made and the results averaged.
• Correction is required for impact angle.
Documentation And Reporting Of Test Results
Each inspection shall be reported together with the BHN and will contacting the following information
• Client Name
• PO / request no.
• TCR job no.
• Component and / or joint identification
• Reference code or acceptance criteria
• Test procedure
• Dimensions and / or area of test
• Material type and condition
• Test technique
• Test system
• Test or access restrictions or remarks
• Interpretation and test results
• Technician name, qualification level and signature
• Date of test